Topics

Watermaker: Dessalator D60 Freedom Pump Problem

Alan "Woody" Wood

Re: Dessalator D60 Freedom: 1996 No: 630046 Type: MBT1141L

I wondered if anyone could help resolve this issue?

I replaced the membranes a few weeks ago but since then the pump doesn't seem to work - it just doesn't pump water to the membranes.

I've tried priming the pump by pouring water directly into the intake (it took about two litres when switched off - not sure where it all went) but it barely draws a dribble when switched on, even though the motor seems to be working fine.

I didn't touch the pump at all when changing the membranes so could it be the high pressure hose? Is there anything I might try like testing for air leaks? I looked at the exploded diagram and there doesn't seem to be a diaphragm to check so frankly I'm baffled :/

Cheers

Woody
SV Mothership

Ann-Sofie

It might be the brushes on the electric motor that has been worn down. You find 4 of those under plastic covers, replace them and life should get back to normal.
If your electric motor is dead Dessalator offers you a new one for €1400. They also offer a kit with lipseals and o-rings for your high pressure pump that might be needed

Regards
Ann-Sofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila
SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

14/12/2020 kl. 12:11 skrev Alan "Woody" Wood <woody@...>:

Re: Dessalator D60 Freedom: 1996 No: 630046 Type: MBT1141L

I wondered if anyone could help resolve this issue?

I replaced the membranes a few weeks ago but since then the pump doesn't seem to work - it just doesn't pump water to the membranes.

I've tried priming the pump by pouring water directly into the intake (it took about two litres when switched off - not sure where it all went) but it barely draws a dribble when switched on, even though the motor seems to be working fine.

I didn't touch the pump at all when changing the membranes so could it be the high pressure hose? Is there anything I might try like testing for air leaks? I looked at the exploded diagram and there doesn't seem to be a diaphragm to check so frankly I'm baffled :/

Cheers

Woody
SV Mothership

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Woody,

Is the low pressure pump primed and working?

If the HP pump is not fed with water from the LP pump it will automatically shut down.

Nick

Amelia
AML 54-019 Leros

On 14 Dec 2020, at 12:11, Alan Woody Wood <woody@...> wrote:

doesn't

Thomas Peacock

We also went through some D60 blues a year ago. Fortunately, it happened in Martinique, and the problem was quickly fixed.

When was the last time you used the system before changing the membranes? Just a few days, or had it bee a while? Was it working 100%? What prompted the membrane replacement?

I believe that our problem was quickly solved by the techs and was some sort of seal problem. Works perfectly now.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes

karkauai

I had a similar experience with my D60 when I replaced the membranes a couple of years ago.  I used the fresh water pump to flush water thru the high pressure pump for a minute or two, then turned the watermaker pump on at zero pressure with the fresh water pump still running... it took another minute or so and finally the pump started pumping. I switched to sea water, cranked up the pressure and it worked fine. I guess it gets an air lock or something that takes a good bit of water to displace. No problem since.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Karen Smith

A 24V motor suitable for the D60 watermaker is available from industrial sources in the USA for ~US$300.  Parts for the CAT high pressure pump are also available from CAT.  Dessalator's spare parts prices make Volvo's look a bargain, and that takes some doing!!!!

Woody,

I assume that your D60 does not have an additional low pressure feed pump, which most of the larger later model Dessalitors do.  Be sure that the pressure valve on the watermaker control panel is fully open.  If that is closed, priming can be difficult or impossible.  I also assume that the pump was not run dry at any time except during your priming attempts.

If the pump is turning, the fault is most likely in the water feed, because it is unlikely (but possible!) that the pump could fail totally over the maintenance period.  The water feed is probably restricted.  If you haven't done so, try changing the feed water filter, see if that helps.

The pump inlet is below the waterline, so if you disconnect the inlet from the pump copious amounts of water should flow out when the seacock is open. If not, track down the debris clogging the hoses or other issue with water feed.

If the inlet water is free flowing, and the pump is running, and nothing seems to be coming out, try disconnecting the outlet hose from the pump.  If the outlet doesn't push lots of water under high pressure, it is possible the pump needs a rebuild. If the pump is not leaking water, the internal check valves could be bad, but it seems odd that all of the cylinders would go bad at once.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 32043

Doug Smith

I was able to source the high pressure pump seal kit, for the duo 100, which is a CAT 277 pump.  The distributor for CAT in NJ, USA is EDI distributors.  Skip is the one I worked with, he was able to give me the seal kit for 170 USD, with a new customer discount of 30%. Total cost of $119.00.  I didn’t have to ask for it, but just emailed him for a quote and he provided those prices.  Dessallator has it on their website for more than twice that amount, plus whatever it would cost to ship.

info@...  It isn’t listed on their website as a part, or in their catalogue, but when I emailed him, it was in stock. Then it was shipped the same day, shipping included, as when I communicated with him and I received it the next day.  Incredible customer service.

Regarding the DC motor, it was much easier to work on, simply by pulling the water maker assembly out of the engine room.  Removing the brushes and cleaning out the holes with a shop vac, as Bill R has recommended in his book, did the trick for mine. I put them back in and it started working again, reliable thus far.  And as Bill K indicates below, if there isn’t water flow through the HP pump, then it won’t pull water from anywhere.  It requires the water to have a head pressure on it, to make high pressure flow.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Karen Smith via groups.io" <karenharmonie@...>
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 9:07 AM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Watermaker: Dessalator D60 Freedom Pump Problem

[...]

michael winand

I did a pump seal rebuild. I found calcium deposited around the check valve. I couldn't get any flow beforehand. System was not used for many years by previous owners.
Now the membranes.
Michael  Nebo  sm251