Watermaker end cap removal; Dessalator D160


Mark McGovern
 

Ian,

Brilliant idea!  I struggled for a few minutes trying to remove one end cap using an oil filter wrench and a large pair of Channellocks and while I could spin the cap in circles I was barely able to move the cap outward even just a little.  I searched "watermaker end cap" on the forum and found your post from over 14 years ago.  I did pretty much exactly as you described and the first end cap popped right out on the 3rd "slightly" forceful pull.  Below are some pics of the setup:



The hose clamp technique woulding work for the end caps with the hardware screwed into them and I didn't want to risk removing the hardware.  Given how easy the other end caps came off,  I just grabbed a screwdriver and a soft faced mallet and was able to knock them out with a few gentle wraps of the mallet on the screwdriver handle with blade of the screwdriver on the stainless steel hardware bracket as shown in the picture below:



I had all four end caps off in a matter of minutes.

And yes, for those of you who read my earlier post about my transmission oil cooler failure the other day, at least one of our saltwater membranes just failed yesterday.  TDS has been creeping up steadily the last few times I've run it and this time we were making product water with a TDS of around 1000.  When it rains it pours!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Belfast, ME USA


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Mark and Ian. The attach a cord and tug is the best removal method I have used.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 27 August 2021 at 09:32 Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Ian,

Brilliant idea!  I struggled for a few minutes trying to remove one end cap using an oil filter wrench and a large pair of Channellocks and while I could spin the cap in circles I was barely able to move the cap outward even just a little.  I searched "watermaker end cap" on the forum and found your post from over 14 years ago.  I did pretty much exactly as you described and the first end cap popped right out on the 3rd "slightly" forceful pull.  Below are some pics of the setup:



The hose clamp technique woulding work for the end caps with the hardware screwed into them and I didn't want to risk removing the hardware.  Given how easy the other end caps came off,  I just grabbed a screwdriver and a soft faced mallet and was able to knock them out with a few gentle wraps of the mallet on the screwdriver handle with blade of the screwdriver on the stainless steel hardware bracket as shown in the picture below:



I had all four end caps off in a matter of minutes.

And yes, for those of you who read my earlier post about my transmission oil cooler failure the other day, at least one of our saltwater membranes just failed yesterday.  TDS has been creeping up steadily the last few times I've run it and this time we were making product water with a TDS of around 1000.  When it rains it pours!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Belfast, ME USA


Bill Kinney
 

Mark,

If it isn't one thing, it's another.  But more likely both at the same time....

Another method for removal of the membrane end caps that is a likely to be a bit more gentle to the parts is to attach a fresh water pressure water hose to the salt water inlet, fill the housing with water until it overflows from the brine outlet, then block the outlet with your finger.  Even a little pressure, and the caps just slide  right off. 

Note, do NOT do this with air pressure, the endcaps will launch off at high velocity!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD.


Mark McGovern
 

Bill,

I hope I don't have to pop these end caps off again anytime soon but I will keep the water pressure idea in mind for whenever the time comes.  It makes total sense to use water pressure from the inside of the pressure vessel to remove the end caps.

Cara's had a pretty sedentary life the past 17 years spending most of her time at the dock with just one Atlantic crossing from the previous owner and then the trip up from Martinique to the Chesapeake Bay when we bought her in 2017 so I expected events like this to happen.  I just hoped it could have waited a few weeks as I actually had planned on replacing the membranes this October when we are back in the Chesapeake.   Apparently the boat had other plans.

See you guys in a few weeks!
  
--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Belfast, ME USA