Watermaker membrane #solution #replacement

JOSE PRIETO

Dear Amelians, I ask for help.

My Desalator D60 watermaker has been little used in its life apparently.  In the last 4 months I've been using it more intensively (at least 2 times a week).  I always measure the TDS and normally it was below 500 ppm, around 450. A few days ago the ppm suddenly went up to 960, and I notice that the watermaker often goes beyond the green range after some time of water production, and turns off (Red light).  I immediately think about replacing the membranes, but I have no experience in the behavior of the membrane, if it deteriorates quickly, or the tds goes down slowly.  Another observation is that the value of the membrane in the USA is around 250 usd, and in Europe where I am, the Desalator dealer asks for 400 euros per membrane.  Any help will be welcome
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

When Judy and I were sailing around the world our primary source of freshwater was the D160 watermaker. We preferred TDS less than 300 and changed the membranes about every 3.0 to 3.5 years. With new membranes, we would get about 100 TDS. The TDS would slowly increase to near 300 in 3 years. The WHO states 500 is OK, but I am not sure because the one time we went to 350 we noticed our ankles swelling. Of course, this is not a scientific measurement and increased salt affects people differently, but I believe that generally speaking, increased salt will affect older people more than younger.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 6:26 AM JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Jose,

When I had the same symptoms as you, I changed the primary filter and had good results.

You can procure new filters from Water Anywhere.  Based in USA, they deliver where you are moored.  Prices are better than Dessalator.  Do a Google search, you will find them.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, formerly Eleuthera, SM007

On 9 Jun 2022, at 09:11, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for the feedback!
By coincidence I recently replaced the primary filter with a new one.  I confess I didn't like the look of the filter, but the specifications were correct.  I will follow your suggestion and switch again.  It will be hard to find a good product around here.

cheers

JP

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Jose,

I lived for 8 years in Majorca.  One of the finest Amel technician I’ve known works in Cala d’Oro or nearby.  His name is Peter Kuklok.  One of the best!

Used by many Amelians.

Good luck.

Jean-Pierre

On 9 Jun 2022, at 10:15, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for the feedback!
By coincidence I recently replaced the primary filter with a new one.  I confess I didn't like the look of the filter, but the specifications were correct.  I will follow your suggestion and switch again.  It will be hard to find a good product around here.

cheers

JP

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Menorca, Spain

JOSE PRIETO

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply.  I understand that the TDS is just a number.  I've read a lot about water quality, adequate indices, how to get the values ​​and so on.  I noticed that the quality of the water we produced dropped a lot, slightly brackish.  When I took the measurement, I found that the number was indeed high.  As a reference, the TDS of the mineral water we have on board (250ppm) showed that something was different.  The first thing that came to my mind was to change the membranes or treat them, in an attempt to make them survive.  I looked it up on the internet and the prices of membranes in Europe are absurd compared to the US.  The cleaning chemicals (citric acid I think), I'm waiting for the Dessalator dealer to inform me about availability and price.  I found the membranes in China, with different manufacturer than DOW, the price much better, but…

cheers,

JP
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

JOSE PRIETO

Hi Jean-Pierre,

It’s nice to know, but we left Mallorca las week, next port Genoa - Italy.

cheers

Jose

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Gili Yehzkel

Hi Jean.

Do you have Peter Kuklok contact information please ? I definitely can use his service.

Best,
Gili
A55 #68 in Palma

On Jun 9, 2022, at 16:28, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Peter Kuklok

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Gili,

You can email him directly at yachtconceptmallorca@...

C. / Vela 22,
Mallorca
07680 Porto Cristo
Spain

+34 619 658 312

He is brilliant and recommended by myself, Bruno ( Tertio A55 #63) as well as Robin on Carré d’As.

Good luck.

Jean-Pierre

On 9 Jun 2022, at 11:56, Gili Yehzkel <gili39@...> wrote:

Hi Jean.

Do you have Peter Kuklok contact information please ? I definitely can use his service.

Best,
Gili
A55 #68 in Palma

On Jun 9, 2022, at 16:28, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Peter Kuklok

Slavko Despotovic

Hello Jose,

Here is email address where you can inquire for membranes. Cost was 609€ including VAT and delivery to Slovenia.

Bastien@...

best regards
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

JOSE PRIETO

Hi Slavco,

Thanks for the address.

best regards

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Yesterday I saw a new Steyr MO144M38 engine advertised on China.com for 5000 €. Of course, it was FAKE. Although there are good sources in China, there are a lot of people that are highly skilled in taking advantage of those looking for a bargain.

As far as I know, there is one manufacturer of membranes in the world. DOW Filtec makes very high-quality membranes using robotics. Before DOW bought Filmtec there was very few robotics involved in the manufacturing. I assume that some entity in China could manually lay up membranes, but I doubt that they will get to Filmtec's quality. Also, make sure that the Filmtec number starts with "SW" which designates saltwater. I saw some BW30-2540 advertised from China.com. BW is for brackish water. WARNING: These have a shelf life. If someone is selling you a bargain be sure you determine that it was made within 6 months and is in its original packaging. From Filmtec: "Wet elements are bagged in a durable, oxygen-barrier composite plastic bag and the preservative solution is delivered prior to vacuum sealing.  Precise preservative volume and high bag integrity help ensure a stable preservative environment during transportation and storage."

Regrettably, there is significant profit taking by some resellers of Filmtec's membranes. You should price shop. I believe that you should not pay more than 275 € for the following Filmtec membranes:
SW30 2540
SW30-2521

Here is a US distributor who is a Yacht School Preferred Vendor: https://preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/airwaterice.html

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:
Hi Slavco,

Thanks for the address.

best regards

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Roman Lawrence

hello Jose following text you will find an offer for original membranes, sa well the ones from China Alibaba (I paid DDP 511 $ for 4 off) as welli can the data shett for the watermaker in different languages as you will send me your email adress. (We met in June 2020 in Spain when we took our Super Maramu Coque en Re to Germany. We have had problems wit the petrol filter...petrol wa floating in the engine room)

Roman Lawrence

Here the offer from Lenntech

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Lenntech.
Based on the data from your enquiry, I can offer you the following:

Model

Brand

Quantity

Price/Unit

Total

Delivery Time

1

SW30-2540

Datasheet

HS Code: 84219990
Country of Origin: United States

Dupont

2 Pieces

€ 215.00

€ 430.00

3-4 weeks tbc at order

Transport Germany
DAP. Delivered At Place

€ 50.00

Total Net Price EUR

€ 480.00

Destination Prospect

Germany

Quote Reference CERX182

LQ-1735

Payment conditions

Prepayment

Transport conditions

DAP. Delivered At Place

Lenntech delivers according to Orgalime SI14.
Above prices are valid for 15 days for the quoted quantities.
Our prices are exclusive of the legalization of documents such as invoices or certificates of origin by the Chamber of Commerce or embassy.

For any further questions, please don´t hesitate to contact me.
I am looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Loïc Quintarelli
Junior sales
Lenntech BV

T:
E:
W:

+31 15 275 57 15 (Direct)
quintarelli@...
www.lenntech.com

Lenntech

Lenntech BV
European Head Office
Distributieweg 3
2645 EG Delfgauw
The Netherlands
Phone: +31 152 610 900
Fax: +31 152 616 289
e-mail: info@...

Lenntech USA LLC
Americas
5975 Sunset Drive
South Miami, Florida 33143
Phone: +1 877 453 8095
e-mail: info@...

Lenntech DMCC
Middle East
Level 5 - OFFICE #8-One JLT Tower
Jumeirah Lake Towers
Dubai - U.A.E.
Phone: +971 4 429 5853
e-mail: info@...

Jérémy

Nice topic.

Last week I put the watermaker back into service on my SM #121 (1994).
It only had 9 hours of operation...
I followed restart procedure from the Dessalator manual, changed the prefilter for a new one, cleaned the TDS sensor, flushed the membrane with fresh water for 30 minutes... and start producing water. Led was green, and it produce about 30L/h (I have a 50L/h unit but water temperature was probably around 15°C). Works perfectly well during 4h, then I shut if off.

Water looks clean... tastes normal. Not salty.

I don't have a portable TDS tester. I just thought: if the water was not good, the orange light should come on and the solenoid valve should dump the water overboard.

Also, I have a new SEAGULL IV X1 filter. Do you think it is enough to trust and drink the water ? (actually I already did :p )

I saw the price of new membranes. Maybve it would help to produce more liters/h (but maybe not... maybe the 30L/h were normal for 15°C water), but, I'm not a full time cruiser, so I can wait a bit (specially, like other have mentioned, membranes are overpriced in Europe...)

Jérémy
SM#121
Le 09/06/2022 à 13:26, JOSE PRIETO a écrit :

[...]

SM #121 Nausicaä
Nantes, France