Topics

Watermaker motor

Denis Elborn

Hi all,

The 24v motor Om my Duo D100 has stopped working, still has power going to it and it turns OK but that’s it. The water maker is working fine on the 220v motor.

Any suggestions on how to trace the fault would be appreciated.

Den and Julie
Aventura A54
Manfredonia

Is the relay working?

image.png
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 10:27 AM Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:
Hi all,

The 24v motor Om my Duo D100 has stopped working, still has power going to it and it turns OK but that’s it. The water maker is working fine on the 220v motor.

Any suggestions on how to trace the fault would be appreciated.

Den and Julie
Aventura A54
Manfredonia

Denis Elborn

Thanks Bill for replying.

When I switch ‘on’ at the panel the relay clicks in and supplies positive power to the junction box on top of the motor, so I assume it’s OK.

What do you think?

On 28 Jul 2019, at 6:33 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Is the relay working?

<image.png>
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 10:27 AM Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:
Hi all,

The 24v motor Om my Duo D100 has stopped working, still has power going to it and it turns OK but that’s it. The water maker is working fine on the 220v motor.

Any suggestions on how to trace the fault would be appreciated.

Den and Julie
Aventura A54
Manfredonia

When the two smaller wires energizes the relay, positive power should pass from one side to the other when the electromagnet closes the circuit. The switch essentially connects the two large wires on the relay. If you don't understand this, seek expert help.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 12:12 AM Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill,

I think that’s what I said happened and whilst I’m not an electrical engineer I understand the basics and will probably be able to fix a simple problem. I am after some guidance about what to check to find the problem.

As you are the only one in the group who has ever answered any query I’ve posted, I look forward to some further input from your extensive knowledge (hopefully!)

Catch up, Den

On 29 Jul 2019, at 3:23 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

What is the voltage reading on the motor side of the relay when the Dessalator panel is turned ON for 24V?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:40 AM Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:
[...]

Same both sides of the relay Bill, as I’m charging it’s 26.2

On 29 Jul 2019, at 8:34 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

OK that indicates a problem with the motor, connections to the motor, or possibly a pulley gear issue. I think that if the one-way pulley gear was frozen you would see some jerky movement when you attempt to start, followed by a breaker opening and cutting off power to the motor. If you think this is the issue, you will need to replace the part. The part I am describing is the DUO 60 24 volt V Belt pulley with a one-way bearing (clutch bearing). If this part is frozen, it probably needs replacing. If you need to order the DUO 60 24 volt V Belt pulley with a one-way bearing (clutch bearing)  from Dessalator, this person speaks/writes English and French:

Nicolas Bouffartigue <contact"at"dessalator.comSecrétariat Dessalator http://www.dessalator.fr/ Tel : +33 (0)4 93 95 04 55

Use this photo, or make a photo yourself:

image.png

MOST LIKELY: If you have current on the motor side of the relay when the system is turned ON, it is more likely a bad connection to the motor, or a failed motor. Check the positive and negative connections to the motor. Are they tight and clean? If there is no connection or wiring issue, the motor has probably failed and needs to be taken to a DC motor repair shop, shipped to Dessalator for repair (if available) or a new motor purchased from Dessalator. Dessalator <contact"at"dessalator.com>

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:43 PM Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary Wells

Similar scenario while we were underway.  I managed to get that DC motor free and on to the cockpit floor.  There were four little hard rubber covers that held the brushes in place and when I pried them open the black dust that came out was phenomenal.

I used a spray-air can (duster) and some spray electrical contact cleaner to clean it up and it worked fine for a couple of weeks until I could get it to a re-builder in St. Thomas(USVI).

One note; if you take it to a re-builder they may try to sell you a new relay.  At least in my case the fellow was a skilled auto mechanic but didn't understand why the unit wouldn't work when case-grounded so he wired up a whole new automotive type solenoid.  I didn't get too far trying to explain it to him, but eventually he let me take the motor back and didn't charge me for the relay. I wired the thing back up properly (take pictures!) and it's worked perfectly since then (about a year now).

Gary W.
sv Adagio, SM 209
Maryland, USA

eric freedman

Hi Gary,

Automotive solenoids are not usually isolated ground solenoids. I would

check it. Automotive solenoids usually have the negative side connected internally to the mounting ears. If this is the case you defeat the isolated ground on your boat.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Thanks for your input.

Before taking the motor out I removed one of the brushes and the armature seemed pretty dirty so I cleaned that up and it is working at the moment, probably could do with a set of brushes as well.

Thanks again for your help

Aventura A54~113
Den and Julie

On 1 Aug 2019, at 2:07 am, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

ofer magen

Hallo,
I have the same problem now with the 24v motor not working.
Can you please explain where the brushes are and how to remove them?
Thanks,
Ofer
SV Alba
Amel 54 #160
Cyprus

Sv Garulfo

Hello

There are 4 brushes on the motor. They are held in place by rubber covers that you unscrew.
I find it easier to bring the motor out of the engine room to work on the brushes.

I cleaned the carbon dust twice in the space of a couple of weeks and eventually replaced the brushes. Looking at the new ones, I noticed the old ones were slightly cracked lengthways, which could have explained why they wouldn’t slide so freely in their housing and would eventually lose conductivity. I guess i could have sanded them down a little to fix the issue.

We sourced the brushes here:
vendite@...

Product code SP1812MC50

They’re not cheap (about €15 each) and they had a minimum order of €180 and would only
ship dhl which was €60. The company was a bit of a pain to work with, as they usually only work with companies, not individuals.

We got a discount for ordering 3 sets of 4 brushes n springs, and still have a spare one.

Hope that helps

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122