Waterproofing canvas work

Nick Newington

Last year I had new plastic windows on my spray hood as the old had gone opaque.
I have spayed the whole thing with waterproofing agent but the stitch holes around the new windows drip a bit in rain. Close inspection shows why. There are visible holes.
The spray hood is very good but the drips annoying.

I was thinking to treat with a wax, literally rub a bar of wax along the stitching, periodically.

One day I may go for the hard top solution but in the meantime I am keen to find a simple solution.

Thoughts??

Kind regards,

Nick

S/Y Amelia
AML54-019
Fethiye Turkey

Eloi Bamberg

Hello,
You have to use something like this:
YACHTICON Brush Seam Grip only 11,95 € buy now | SVB (svb24.com)
I used on my spray hood and it works fine.

BTW, I am on my way to Fethiye

Eloi,
SM2k 426 RedLion
Syracuse Italy

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

👍👍👍👍👏
The right stuff!

Ulrich
Soleil Bleu,A54#088
Leros,GR

Am 17.06.2022 um 08:52 schrieb Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...>:

Hello,
You have to use something like this:
YACHTICON Brush Seam Grip only 11,95 € buy now | SVB (svb24.com)
I used on my spray hood and it works fine.

BTW, I am on my way to Fethiye

Eloi,
SM2k 426 RedLion
Syracuse Italy

Matt Salatino

I had a similar issue with some new canvas. I told the canvas Lady and she came over with a tube of special stuff. On close examination, it’s ingredient was silicone caulk. She put a small dab in each hole to stop the leak.

Nick Newington

OK great to hear. I will try and source it…
Nick
Amelia
Amel54 019/2006

On 17 Jun 2022, at 14:43, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

I had a similar issue with some new canvas. I told the canvas Lady and she came over with a tube of special stuff. On close examination, it’s ingredient was silicone caulk. She put a small dab in each hole to stop the leak.

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Nick. Rubbing a candle along the seams is very effective and surprisingly long lasting. Just repeat as needed.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 17/06/2022 14:53 Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Last year I had new plastic windows on my spray hood as the old had gone opaque.
I have spayed the whole thing with waterproofing agent but the stitch holes around the new windows drip a bit in rain. Close inspection shows why. There are visible holes.
The spray hood is very good but the drips annoying.

I was thinking to treat with a wax, literally rub a bar of wax along the stitching, periodically.

One day I may go for the hard top solution but in the meantime I am keen to find a simple solution.

Thoughts??

Kind regards,

Nick

S/Y Amelia
AML54-019
Fethiye Turkey

Eric Freedman

Unfortunately, not available in the USA.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

YACHTICON Brush Seam Grip only 11,95 € buy now | SVB (svb24.com)
I used on my spray hood and it works fine.

BTW, I am on my way to Fethiye

Eloi,
SM2k 426 RedLion
Syracuse Italy

Mark Erdos

 This is the USA equivalent: https://www.sailrite.com/Iosso-Seam-Sealer-4oz

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us