Where best to locate Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-1 Sensor Core on Santorin

Grant Starling

Hi All,

Upgrading my old Autohelm 6000 for a Raymarine Evolution Autopilot on my Santorin.  The existing fluxgate compass from the Autohelm sits behind the port-side sofa backrest in the salon - within a niche.

Raymarine suggest keeping the EV-1 sensor core as central as possible on the boat but the current location of my fluxgate compass is quite a way off centre-line to port.  It is in a really good place in terms of avoiding electrical interference - but not central as recommended by Raymarine.

Questions:  Has anyone installed an EV-1 in that location?  Are there better alternatives I could consider?

The other less important issue I have is having to mount the new ACU-200 vertically - to reduce the risk of water ingress into the circuitry is what I understand to be the key driver.  My old autohelm ACU is mounted horizontally in the bulkhead above the galley sink, so I intend to mount the new ACU-200 in the same position and orientation - anyone done this?

Thanks all...

Grant

Juan de Zulueta

Grant,

I have installed two Raymarine acu400 - EV1
the two ev1 are installed on the port side of the boat. They really work perfectly and I crossed the Atlantic last year from St Raphael to Guadeloupe with autopilot on all the time.
I have a super Maramu and my 2 x Acu400 are mounted vertically next each other with a switch.
I don t know if you can install them horizontally.
Juan de Zulueta
ophelie X in Guadeloupe

SM#32

Grant Starling

Hi Juan,

Good to hear that, thanks for the response.  I suspected it would be fine, but it’s always good to have confirmation from someone who has actually installed the EV-1 in the port-side position.

Enjoy Guadeloupe!  We have heavy snow and freezing weather at the moment in England...I know where I would rather be!!!

best
Grant

SN#42 - ALLONZEE

antonio scipioni

Hi Grant,
Last year I installed a second pilot Raymarine gyro evo with tiller in aft cabin. I use the old 6000 like a spare pilot.
I have the cpu under the berth in the saloon in the starboard side. The fluxgate is located under the chart table in the space near the passage to stern. The biggest is to create the space in the aft cabin.

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 9 feb 2021, alle ore 18:35, Grant Starling via groups.io <grantstarling@...> ha scritto:

Hi Juan,

Good to hear that, thanks for the response.  I suspected it would be fine, but it’s always good to have confirmation from someone who has actually installed the EV-1 in the port-side position.

Enjoy Guadeloupe!  We have heavy snow and freezing weather at the moment in England...I know where I would rather be!!!

best
Grant

SN#42 - ALLONZEE

Grant Starling

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the feedback.  If you can post a photo of the location of the flux gate that would be appreciated.  Not sure that position is any more central then my current location behind the port salon sofa, but could be a better?

Good idea keeping the 6000 as a spare - I may do the same now that you mention it.  I already have a spare rotary drive motor, so probably good to have a spare back-up system for my circumnavigation.

best
Grant

antonio scipioni

Ok ! Give me some days to take pics.
Antonio
Vagabundo
Sn108 Rome

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 18 feb 2021, alle ore 18:04, Grant Starling via groups.io <grantstarling@...> ha scritto:

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the feedback.  If you can post a photo of the location of the flux gate that would be appreciated.  Not sure that position is any more central then my current location behind the port salon sofa, but could be a better?

Good idea keeping the 6000 as a spare - I may do the same now that you mention it.  I already have a spare rotary drive motor, so probably good to have a spare back-up system for my circumnavigation.

best
Grant

antonio scipioni

Hi !
This is the position of CPU and gyro Sensor of the pilot I installed on my Santorin.
Br
Antonio
SN108 vagabundo
Rome

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 20 feb 2021, alle ore 14:33, antonio scipioni via groups.io <stilemare@...> ha scritto:

Ok ! Give me some days to take pics.
Antonio
Vagabundo
Sn108 Rome

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 18 feb 2021, alle ore 18:04, Grant Starling via groups.io <grantstarling@...> ha scritto:

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the feedback.  If you can post a photo of the location of the flux gate that would be appreciated.  Not sure that position is any more central then my current location behind the port salon sofa, but could be a better?

Good idea keeping the 6000 as a spare - I may do the same now that you mention it.  I already have a spare rotary drive motor, so probably good to have a spare back-up system for my circumnavigation.

best
Grant

Grant Starling

Great, thanks Antonio, that looks to be a good position, though I think the port-side niche on my Santorin is just as good in terms of location.  Good to know that it doesn't need to be dead centre of the boat to work effectively...

Appreciate your advise on this and thanks for posting the pics....

Grant