Whisker Poles needing work

Chris Doucette

Today, whilst rigging the poles the connector popped right off out of the pole.  Lucky me to have thus happen with no harm or foul. Upon quick inspection it appears the rivets have corroded and broke-  So next port its time to replace them.  I suspect the job will require drilling  old ones out and replacing with proper molly coat.

Has anyone accomplished this?  I’m looking for any known rivet sizes and metal to use ( Aluminum or Stainless). I worry a bit about corrosion on SS and also strength on Aluminum;).

Chris SM #385
Amarok

Mark McGovern SV Cara

Edited

Chris,

I did this last year after noticing a few damaged rivets.  I used these Aluminum Blind Rivets with Aluminum Mandrel
Domed Head, 3/16" Diameter, for 0.751"-0.875" Material Thickness from McMaster-Carr:  https://www.mcmaster.com/97447A071/

You are riveting three pieces together so you need a rivet with at least 20mm grip length.  I now inspect the rivets on the poles as part of my pre-departure checklist and so far they are doing fine.

Here's some pics of the worst rivet and the three pieces that make up the assembly:

Some of the holes were a bit "ovalized" which is not ideal for a rivet joint, but we've but sailed several thousand miles using the poles since I did the repair and they seem to be fine.  If I notice any issues over time, I will likely just drill four (4) new holes and rivet the new holes.

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Annapolis MD USA

David Dickman

Hi Chris,
  I believe I recall Brian on SV Delos had a video on how he accomplished the job using a shop in Florida and some parts from Amel.

Here is a link to get you started.

Best,
    David
    Galini
    A54-100

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 10:45 AM Chris Doucette <amaroksailing@...> wrote:
Today, whilst rigging the poles the connector popped right off out of the pole.  Lucky me to have thus happen with no harm or foul. Upon quick inspection it appears the rivets have corroded and broke-  So next port its time to replace them.  I suspect the job will require drilling  old ones out and replacing with proper molly coat.

Has anyone accomplished this?  I’m looking for any known rivet sizes and metal to use ( Aluminum or Stainless). I worry a bit about corrosion on SS and also strength on Aluminum;).

Chris SM #385
Amarok

Bill Kinney

Rivets are not an ideal fastener for this application, although they are quick and easy to install at the factory.  It is hard to get them really tight enough, and as a result there is movement between the parts under load, which leads to the fastens and holes becoming worn, which means it gets even worse trying to fit everything together when the rivet does fail (which they will).

We have used our poles a fair bit, and got tired of the regular repairs needed to the rivets.  I drilled and tapped the holes for appropriately sized pan head machine screws and that has held together perfectly.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada.