--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Thomas Peacock

Hi Slavko,

Some people like to have those tubes so that when they grab the stay it is easier on the hand, as opposed to cable. The downside is it allows water to remain in contact with the steel, predisposing to rust.

I don't think it’s factory installed, plus the plastic would have rotted away by now from the UV. We were re-rigged in Martinique by Gautin, very experienced with Amels. They said they did not have such coverings, and recommended against.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Apr 10, 2021, at 8:35 AM, Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

I have number or almost all standing rigging parts from deck level to up to 2m above covered with white plastic tubes. I have asked a rigger what is this for and his response was that it does not make sense. I never so it on other boats. But with Amel one never knows. I have attached a photo where one can see what I am talking about. Any help highly appreciated.

--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz <XECR2809.pdf>

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes

Slavko Despotovic

I agree. I did not have it on my previous boat. And yes they are getting off due to UV. Interesting, previous owner left some spare tubes. Anyway I will take it off, due to resonn you have written.
Thank you.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Roque

Hi

I don't know about SM, and not saying you must keep them, but they were factory installed on both  A54 I owned. I just re-rigged Attika and ACMO sent all the plastic tubes already in place.

Roque
Attika A54 117
Paraty- Brazil

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Bob Grey

Hi guys, It was on my 55 from the factory, stops the Genoa sheet from fraying against the SS stay, it all fell apart after 5 years from the UV, haven’t replaced it. I have been intending to but it’s low on my list of things to do.

Bob Grey
Renaissance III
AMEL 55 #25

Ralph Heilig

Hi guys, the plastic tubes were standard installed by AMEL factory when I bought my AMEL 54 #144 in 2010. They fell apart slowly after a couple of years due to intensive UV. When I was at AMEL yard in the Med for some refitting three years ago, I also asked to refit the damaged plastik tubes. Instead to refit the damged ones, they recommended to remove all of the plastic tubes since they just might produce rust. Now I have no more plastic tubes....

Alexander Hofmann

Hi Bob and Rob!

This remembers me to the days, before I left La Rochelle after 3 years after buying my ship. As a proud and happy Amel owner I wanted to have the standing rigging in ‘bright shiny white’ as the ship.

Now, almost 5 years later, I am really happy that all of this plastic nonsense has been removed by myself, by various riggers – or has just fallen off, for 2 important reasons:

  1. I am a sailor, a diver and an ocean lover, with respect for all the creatures in the water. They eat the small plastic parts from the rotten plastic rigging protection, and a lot starve and die from it. The small pieces are the worst, because they are swallowed by little fish and often fully block their digestion fully. I did not manage to get this stuff off without loads of parts fallen into the sea, although I really tried hardly.

  1. In between the shiny white plastic covers and the standing rigging you accumulate moisture, as well as any kind of dirt, which does not leave and leads to earlier corrosion. I am an engineer, specialized in material science, and corrosion protection made out my career as an entrepreneur, bringing environmental protection, sustainability and economic success together. My ship is still in Lanzarote, some 80 nm from Africa, and often in the ‘Calima’ wind which carries incredible amounts of sand with it. To this interesting mixture of corrosion stimulant on our standing rigging, we all add constantly a bit of sea water salt, without any chance to get washed off or dried. What we create is a wonderful corrosive media. This is not the road to success.

Never in my life – and the life of my ship – I will mount anymore this nonsense plastic covers.

I have installed a Kärcher K2 fixed in the cockpit locker with a high pressure tube for reaching the bow and the stern fully. Also I have a long prolongation tube, I can reach the main mast top with it. In the light of my explanations above you might understand why I have taken it onboard!

All the best, fair winds

Alexander Hofmann, SY Oceanica I, Amel54#156

I recommend removing the white plastic wire covers. I also recommend not sailing with flogging sails.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 1:24 AM Ralph Heilig <ralph.heilig@...> wrote:
Hi guys, the plastic tubes were standard installed by AMEL factory when I bought my AMEL 54 #144 in 2010. They fell apart slowly after a couple of years due to intensive UV. When I was at AMEL yard in the Med for some refitting three years ago, I also asked to refit the damaged plastik tubes. Instead to refit the damged ones, they recommended to remove all of the plastic tubes since they just might produce rust. Now I have no more plastic tubes....

Steve Hoefel

Not withstanding all the recommendations to remove the covering, I had the plastic covering on the rigging when I purchased Maramu #25 (1978) in 2002.  Minimal evident of UV erosion or rusting on the covered rigging, knock on wood.

Steve Hoefel
SV Trident Star
Maramu #25

Steve,

In my experience, it depends on how tight the plastic is to the wire and how well you rinse the wire inside the plastic. Also sometimes dust will accumulate between the wire and the plastic and that dust will hold moisture. Some areas of the world are kinder to rigging wire covered in plastic and some owners rinse the wire better than others.

Bill