Why not a Yanmar Engine?

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Hi James,

I had extremely good luck with my Yanmar 4jh3hte engine . With over 7500 hours I decided I did not want to change it to an electronic engine

I did not have one problem with old the engine..

I went to the local dealer and asked what the cost was to rebuild my engine. He said why not just put a new one in. I said I don’t want an electronic engine. He said you could install a NON ELECTRONIC 4jh4hte or 4jh4hte-1 engine. I believe the -1 is EU approve. If you don’t want 110 Hp the 4jh4 without the intercooler is 85 hp.

It is a marine engine and not a marinized tractor engine.

It went in very easily with a brand-new transmission. I now have over 400 hours on it, and it is working like a champ.

Happy Holidays

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of James Rainsbury
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2021 5:19 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] New Engine

Dear Amelians,

Season’s Greetings!
For various reasons, we’re considering re powering our recently purchased boat - we’ve had quotes for repair of the old Volvo Penta but there’s not much in it vs a new engine. Ideally, we’d have gone with a Betamarine but the lead time on that if ordered now is July (!). We have a year career break, starting in July, and I can foresee that date slipping if we wait for a Beta, and eating into our year off. So we’re looking at other options - a new Volvo or a Yanmar in particular (although would consider alternatives). Any thoughts on which engine from the group?

Thanks v much
James

Folie a Deux
SM #239
Southampton UK

Alan Leslie

Eric, I agree.....non-electronic is the way to go.
Nearly all the engine issues on this forum are with Volvo engines with electronic control.
A "normal" old fashioned diesel engine is much easier to keep running and problem solve.
They are simple, mechanical devices and diesel mechanics all over the world understand them.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437