Topics

WiFi Extenders - best 2019-2020

martin haméline

Hola Amelians,

I am looking for current reviews on the best wifi extenders.......

I searched the user site files and couldn't find anything new or relevant.   Objective is to grab shore wifi while at anchor and work remotely with video calls, email etc... I know the quality depend on the source..

Appreciate your experience as I am looking to buy a system now.

Cheers,

Martin hAMELine
SV VoileOvent
Maramu # 129

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Martin,

We have been using a Webcatcher (I believe the same as a Bullet) which I bought from Diginav in Le Marin 4 years ago and it has worked perfectly ever since. There was a choice of 3 antenna sizes and I went for the middle one as a compromise between vertical beam width and range.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul

Matt Salatino

There are many systems out there to choose from. Costs for the kit start at close to $400.
They consist of a Ubiquity bullet (a radio receiver tuned for 2,4 ghz), a PoE injector (Power over Ethernet), and a wireless router. Of course it includes the requisite cabling.
The kit parts can be purchased separately, for about $240, but the process of getting things programmed and talking to each other requires an I.T. professional, or software Engineer. (I’ll assume you’re not one, as if you were, you wouldn’t be asking in the first place.)
As I said, there are many kits available, this is but one:
Good luck we have one installed and it works well. We have good bandwidth up to about a kilometer, and workable data, not streaming, but email, web browsing, at up to 2 miles, depending on the strength of the source.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Mar 14, 2020, at 3:32 PM, martin haméline <marafiki37@...> wrote:

Hola Amelians,

I am looking for current reviews on the best wifi extenders.......

I searched the user site files and couldn't find anything new or relevant.   Objective is to grab shore wifi while at anchor and work remotely with video calls, email etc... I know the quality depend on the source..

Appreciate your experience as I am looking to buy a system now.

Cheers,

Martin hAMELine
SV VoileOvent
Maramu # 129

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

I do not recommend systems that use a USB cable to the antenna (such as Red Box). There is too much power loss in these cables.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

[...]

Thanks Matt
Appreciate the feedback which aides my search.
Cheers

On Mar 14, 2020, at 1:18 PM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Good advice Paul

[...]

Agree. The systems using a Bullet use a Cat 5 LAN cable.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Mar 14, 2020, at 6:32 PM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

I have had great luck with this antenna and wi-fi router.

It has been working great for a few years and is inexpensive.

If you have a problem , when you call you speak to the owner.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-Groove-Outdoor-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01LDLQQ70

[...]

Ryan Meador

We have a system I designed built around Mikrotik parts that is essentially identical to what Eric linked.  It has worked very well for us.  I sent a detailed writeup on my design to this list in January.  It does require some know-how to set it up.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 2:07 PM martin haméline <marafiki37@...> wrote:
[...]

Good to hear Ryan & Kelly
I will look up your January design.
Hard to get fresher than that!

On Mar 14, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:

[...]

Stefan Schaufert

We also use(d) the Webcatcher (from Silentwind).
Easy to install, works like a WLAN-Spot for all your devices.
No problems at all.

What we underestimated:
1. You have often to many masts or other obstacles between you and the source.
2. The costs for internet 4G etc. are - together with an impressive network coverage - mostly much lower than expected.
E.g. for the Caribbean Islands - Digicel. One SIM-contract for nearly all Islands.
Thus it is often much more comfortable and more powerful compared to the antenna/ webcatcher and we use it not as often as we thought.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 - N°119 - Lady Charlyette, currently Guadeloupe

martin haméline

Merci Stefan,
J’aime le concept Digicel en combinaison wifi extender.
Appreciate the information

Martin

On Mar 14, 2020, at 6:50 PM, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

We also use(d) the Webcatcher (from Silentwind).
Easy to install, works like a WLAN-Spot for all your devices.
No problems at all.

What we underestimated:
1. You have often to many masts or other obstacles between you and the source.
2. The costs for internet 4G etc. are - together with an impressive network coverage - mostly much lower than expected.
E.g. for the Caribbean Islands - Digicel. One SIM-contract for nearly all Islands.
Thus it is often much more comfortable and more powerful compared to the antenna/ webcatcher and we use it not as often as we thought.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 - N°119 - Lady Charlyette, currently Guadeloupe

Aras

I use Rogue Wave antenna mounted on mizzen.  I also use a small Netgear router / switch.  Gives access to all devices on the boat.  Range about 5 miles (line of sight).
Aras
Sharki #163 1988

martin haméline

Cool Aras
I’m headed to Marin Martinique Saturday and will have the wifi extender with me.
I also like the Caribbean SIM card combined with a cell phone.
Cheers

Martin Hameline
SV VoileOVent
Maramu