Wind instruments connected to front lighting circuit!

Chris Paul

Hi,
Please see attached word document.
This one seems really odd to me.
Maybe, this is the way it's done!
Hopefully, someone can explain what is going on and point me towards a solution.

Regards, Chris Paul
SV Glazig
SM 352
Bay of Islands NZ

Ian Park

Seems very odd. I’ve only ever inherited Raymarine instruments and their power comes from a red and ground wire direct from the display unit.
The second point is I’ve never had water in that drip tray. You should take the inspection plate off at the bottom of the mast and make sure you have a ‘drip loop’ in each wire before it goes up and over into the wiring tube. Also ensure the drain hole at the foot of the mast is not blocked. This ensures rain water down the mast never gets as far as the drip tray. I’ve just had my masts put back up and re-rigged so I know I have to do the drip loop in the mast after I’ve finished wiring up again.
Good Luck

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’

Chris,

The answer to your question is known only to the previous owner and whoever installed this. This installation was done by someone with little or no understanding about your Amel and certainly not by Amel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022, 03:57 Chris Paul via groups.io <chris__paul=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,
Please see attached word document.
This one seems really odd to me.
Maybe, this is the way it's done!
Hopefully, someone can explain what is going on and point me towards a solution.

Regards, Chris Paul
SV Glazig
SM 352
Bay of Islands NZ

Bill Kinney

As Bill R suggests, this is certainly NOT Amel original, neither the wind instrument nor the wiring.  When you see wiring done like that it should alert you to inspect anything else a previous owner might have modified or added.  It is likely all done to the same "standard".

The "drip tray" collects water that comes down the wires from the mast, and then drips it into the head behind the door. Quite a bit of water can come in when the boat is oriented stern to the wind and rain, very little when bow to the wind.

A very important thing to be aware of with that drip tray:  Birds.

Birds perched on top of the mast drop seeds in the mast.  I am convinced they must do it intentionally, because in some places there are a LOT of them. SOMEHOW these seeds end up in this drip tray.  In the tropics, there are a number of palm seeds that are the perfect size, and in the American northeast it is the seeds of the wild cherry trees.  The seeds can block the drain holes in the tray, which then overflows, and this can result in serious water damage to the bulkhead. It is a very valuable maintenance check to open this up and poke around to be sure the drain holes stay clear.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada.

Craig Briggs

Bill,
That pesky "drip tray" is the only really serious design flaw on our Amel - when it rains my bar of soap gets soft!
Cheers,
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Craig,

Bar soap! Did you know you will get a lot less soap scum in the Gray Water Bilge by using gel soap?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 10:22 AM Craig Briggs <sangaris68@...> wrote:
Bill,
That pesky "drip tray" is the only really serious design flaw on our Amel - when it rains my bar of soap gets soft!
Cheers,
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Chris Paul

Thanks to Ian, Bill R, Bill K and Craig for all of your wonderful information.

Regards, Chris Paul
SV Glazig
SM 352
Bay of Islands NZ

On Monday, 27 June 2022, 08:51:44 pm NZST, Chris paul <chris__paul@...> wrote:

Hi,
Please see attached word document.
This one seems really odd to me.
Maybe, this is the way it's done!
Hopefully, someone can explain what is going on and point me towards a solution.

Regards, Chris Paul
SV Glazig
SM 352
Bay of Islands NZ

Craig Briggs

It's LAVA Pumice soap that Katherine uses to get the grease out after rebuilding our engine.
Real sailors don't use Gel soap ;-)
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL