Topics

Wintering in potentially freezing conditions, water maker?

Miles

Hi Dean,

I have used the Glycerin and sterilizer mixture many times as Dessalator directs.  As I understand it, the   glycerin absorbs water.  You would never want to pressurize the system with the mixture.  To help the process, I added a “t” and shut-off valve to the exit hose between the sea-cock where waste water leaves the boat and where the bypass water from the water maker enters the exit hose.  I then added a long hose from that to a bucket where I have the glycerin and sterilized mixture and the water maker inlet hose.  Then when I run the water maker at no pressure the fluid circulates through the water maker for as long as I want.    Reading this, I think it could be more clear.  I will take a photo in the next day or two .

When I expect temperatures as low as – 10 or so F, I use more glycerin than Dessalator directs.  Also, be sure to do this in warm weather. Unless the water is more than 20 C or more, the water and glycerin will not mix.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216, Newport, RI harbor.

SY STELLA

Hi Miles,
I understand your flushing circuit description, that seems like a great idea especially if you have to winter in the cold every year.

As I understand it from this thread, neither the glycerin solution nor the propylene glycol will cross the membrane, so it seems to be still important to drain any desalinated water from the output side, including the flow-meter tube.

Many thanks again to all
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Sent from my iPhone X

Thomas Peacock

Just remember that the membranes are never supposed to be left dry, so leave some sort of water solution in contact with the membranes. I’m not sure that the entire output side of the tube needs to be immersed in water, but some should be left to maintain humidity.
So many things to consider.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay, US

On Aug 11, 2019, at 4:54 AM, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Miles,
I understand your flushing circuit description, that seems like a great idea especially if you have to winter in the cold every year.

As I understand it from this thread, neither the glycerin solution nor the propylene glycol will cross the membrane, so it seems to be still important to drain any desalinated water from the output side, including the flow-meter tube.

Many thanks again to all
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Sent from my iPhone X

Miles

Hi Dean,

I am glad that you were able to decipher my description.  And, yes it is import to get antifreeze into the flow-meter tube.  I have a hand pump that I use to get propylene glycol into the tube and surrounding output tubes.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216, moored in Newport, RI harbor

SY STELLA

Hi Miles, ok that pump might be the way to go. I have also just ordered a couple of 160W tube heaters which I intend to run over winter. One in the engine room and one in the galley.
High tech incandescent lamps!

Also considering a dehumidifier, but need to find somewhere to drain the fluid. Back home in Sydney I use one in another boat (because of wet racing sails, not cold damp weather) and it drains down the galley sink.
However on the Amel it seems a bit crazy to put the fluid into the bilge, then have to rely on the bulge pump!

Cheers
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154
Anchored off Jura, Scotland

Sent from my iPhone X

Laurens Vos <laurensrineke@...>

Matt Salatino

Someone previously posted a great idea. Drain the dehumidifier out the removed knot meter sensor hole.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:16 AM, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Miles, ok that pump might be the way to go.  I have also just ordered a couple of 160W tube heaters which I intend to run over winter. One in the engine room and one in the galley.
High tech incandescent lamps!

Also considering a dehumidifier, but need to find somewhere to drain the fluid. Back home in Sydney I use one in another boat (because of wet racing sails, not cold damp weather) and it drains down the galley sink.
However on the Amel it seems a bit crazy to put the fluid into the bilge, then have to rely on the bulge pump!

Cheers
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154
Anchored off Jura, Scotland

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Matt
Excuse my ingorance, but can you tell me where the "knot meter sensor hole is"?
I have no Idea? Maybe I think just on the wrong end?
Regards
Ruedi
Wasabi
A54#55

On 12 Aug 2019, at 23:48, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Ruedi,

He is referring to a Speed Transducer fitted in a through-hull fitting. You do not have one, unless your 54 has been changed. However, you do have a Depth Transducer fitted in a through-hull fitting. This is located under the floor and forward of the watertight bulkhead separating the salon from the forward berths. If your 54 is on the hard, you could remove the Depth Transducer and use the through-hull fitting to place the dehumidifier drain hose through.

When anyone is considering purchasing a dehumidifier for this purpose, it must have two features:
1) When power is lost and returns, it will automatically restart.
2) The ability to connect a drain hose.
Many models do not have these two important features.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,

Thanks a lot that help, - as always your advices is very precise!

I was thinking about it, but I thought about when wintering the Boat in water. In this case it’s not possible. I got now the message ;-)

Thanks

Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Donnerstag, 15. August 2019 um 20:18
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Wintering in potentially freezing conditions, water maker?

[...]

I wish I knew.
Help, somebody!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 15, 2019, at 10:34 AM, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

[...]

Craig Briggs

Matt,
They are talking about your knot meter transducer where it goes through the hull bottom. Don't know if you have a paddlewheel style, but that's the bit. Remove the paddlewheel, like you would do to clean it and stick the humidifier drain hose through the hole. Wrap it in cloth to keep bugs out. If you have a sonic speed, then your won't have a thru-hull fitting, but you can pull out your depth sounder transducer instead and use that thru-hull hole.
Craig SN68 Sangaris

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 06:51 PM, Matt Salatino wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
I understand the issue, but since we’re getting a 50, I didn’t know the locations of the speed paddle wheel, or the depth transducer. I was just repeating what another owner posted a few weeks earlier.

On Aug 16, 2019, at 4:32 AM, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

[...]

Right, Matt, I should have addressed it to Ruedi, I guess.
Craig
On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 08:26 AM, Matt Salatino wrote:
[...]

 Right - I should have addresed it to Ruedi, I guess.

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Craig and Matt, thanks for your input.
I was wrong because I usually keep the boat in water over winter and so I was wondering how you can feed a hole below he waterline ;-)
Cheers Ruedi