Topics

winterizing the watermaker


Ryan Meador
 

Hi all,

We have the 60L/hr, 24V-only Dessalator.  Following the great instructions from past threads on this subject, we've successfully winterized the raw water side with pink antifreeze.  But none of the threads we've found have gone into detail on how to winterize the fresh (product) water side of the system, and we can't figure it out.  We disconnected the product water fittings near the end of the tubes, but little water came out.  I suspect the control panel tubes drained, but the membranes did not.  Also, I still see water inside the flow meter and pressure gauge.  Do any of you know how to drain these and/or replace the fresh water with antifreeze?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA


Arnold Mente
 

Hi,

DESALATOR SAYS:

FREEZING CONDITIONS: If the boat stays in a very cold region, please take a bucket containing 8 litres of warm fresh water mixed with one glycerine litre (you will find it in a drugstore) and let the seawater inlet hose suck up the mixture by starting the watermaker without pressure. You should then empty the flow meter tube on the control panel by blowing into the blue hose connected to the membranes. In normal winter conditions, only empty the flow meter tube and use the sterilizing cartridge ST2.

Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM203


Am 27.10.2020 um 20:17 schrieb Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...>:

Hi all,

We have the 60L/hr, 24V-only Dessalator.  Following the great instructions from past threads on this subject, we've successfully winterized the raw water side with pink antifreeze.  But none of the threads we've found have gone into detail on how to winterize the fresh (product) water side of the system, and we can't figure it out.  We disconnected the product water fittings near the end of the tubes, but little water came out.  I suspect the control panel tubes drained, but the membranes did not.  Also, I still see water inside the flow meter and pressure gauge.  Do any of you know how to drain these and/or replace the fresh water with antifreeze?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA



--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203


Ryan Meador
 

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the info.

We followed basically those instructions already.  Blowing into the blue hose (I assume this is the one marked with blue tape, which is the product water output) did not clear the flowmeter.  It also didn't empty the membranes, nor the pressure gauge.  Has anyone been able to do this procedure successfully?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA


On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:42 PM Arnold Mente via groups.io <Arnold.mente=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

DESALATOR SAYS:

FREEZING CONDITIONS: If the boat stays in a very cold region, please take a bucket containing 8 litres of warm fresh water mixed with one glycerine litre (you will find it in a drugstore) and let the seawater inlet hose suck up the mixture by starting the watermaker without pressure. You should then empty the flow meter tube on the control panel by blowing into the blue hose connected to the membranes. In normal winter conditions, only empty the flow meter tube and use the sterilizing cartridge ST2.

Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM203


Am 27.10.2020 um 20:17 schrieb Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...>:

Hi all,

We have the 60L/hr, 24V-only Dessalator.  Following the great instructions from past threads on this subject, we've successfully winterized the raw water side with pink antifreeze.  But none of the threads we've found have gone into detail on how to winterize the fresh (product) water side of the system, and we can't figure it out.  We disconnected the product water fittings near the end of the tubes, but little water came out.  I suspect the control panel tubes drained, but the membranes did not.  Also, I still see water inside the flow meter and pressure gauge.  Do any of you know how to drain these and/or replace the fresh water with antifreeze?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA



--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203


eric freedman
 

Ryan,
The gauges on my 160 lph watermaker are oil filled.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM376 Kimberlite

On October 27, 2020 at 7:54 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the info.

We followed basically those instructions already.  Blowing into the blue hose (I assume this is the one marked with blue tape, which is the product water output) did not clear the flowmeter.  It also didn't empty the membranes, nor the pressure gauge.  Has anyone been able to do this procedure successfully?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA


On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:42 PM Arnold Mente via groups.io <Arnold.mente=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

DESALATOR SAYS:

FREEZING CONDITIONS: If the boat stays in a very cold region, please take a bucket containing 8 litres of warm fresh water mixed with one glycerine litre (you will find it in a drugstore) and let the seawater inlet hose suck up the mixture by starting the watermaker without pressure. You should then empty the flow meter tube on the control panel by blowing into the blue hose connected to the membranes. In normal winter conditions, only empty the flow meter tube and use the sterilizing cartridge ST2.

Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM203


Am 27.10.2020 um 20:17 schrieb Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...>:

Hi all,

We have the 60L/hr, 24V-only Dessalator.  Following the great instructions from past threads on this subject, we've successfully winterized the raw water side with pink antifreeze.  But none of the threads we've found have gone into detail on how to winterize the fresh (product) water side of the system, and we can't figure it out.  We disconnected the product water fittings near the end of the tubes, but little water came out.  I suspect the control panel tubes drained, but the membranes did not.  Also, I still see water inside the flow meter and pressure gauge.  Do any of you know how to drain these and/or replace the fresh water with antifreeze?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA



--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203


 


Jamie Wendell
 

You have to manually disconnect the small plastic fittings at the flow meter and drain it, as well as the return hose at the panel. There will be water in both the hose and the sight glass if you do not. I learned the hard way a couple of years ago.
The sight glass froze over the winter and broke - very expensive part from Dessalator.
Pumping pink through the LP pump is all you need to do otherwise based on the many times I have winterized my watermaker (230V only).
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44


Miles
 

Ryan,

 

I have a small hand pump.  I connect the plastic tube to the flow meter and pump it full of pink stuff, and continue pumping until I think the surrounding tubes are full.  I also use this on the hot water pipes. 

 

Miles

 

s/y Ladybug,  sm216  200 miles off Bermuda heading south.


 

Recently a trusted owner wrote the following:
Winterizing: Recommend using -50F degrees non-toxic water system antifreeze. (2 gallons for a D160)
With the pressure regulator fully counter-clockwise, pump this into the inlet of the high-pressure pump
and through the membrane tubes under minimum pressure. Once the solution has been pumped in, turn
the pressure regulator valve fully clockwise to close it off and retain the solution inside the membrane
tubes. Make sure to blow out the product water lines - take care to make sure there is no fresh water
inside the product flow meter tube. Open, drain, and clean the pre-filter housings.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in winterizing...brrrrr

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Miles <milesbid@...> wrote:

Ryan,

 

I have a small hand pump.  I connect the plastic tube to the flow meter and pump it full of pink stuff, and continue pumping until I think the surrounding tubes are full.  I also use this on the hot water pipes. 

 

Miles

 

s/y Ladybug,  sm216  200 miles off Bermuda heading south.


Ryan Meador
 

Miles,

Where/how do you connect your hand pump to the flow meter and other tubes?

Bill,
I appreciate the additional instructions, but as with so many winterization instructions for this unit, they mainly talk about the seawater side.  The fresh water side seems to be almost an afterthought -- "take care ... there is no fresh water inside".  I don't know how to put that into practice.

We're expecting the first freeze of the year this Friday night, and our boat is already on the hard.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA


On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:08 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Recently a trusted owner wrote the following:
Winterizing: Recommend using -50F degrees non-toxic water system antifreeze. (2 gallons for a D160)
With the pressure regulator fully counter-clockwise, pump this into the inlet of the high-pressure pump
and through the membrane tubes under minimum pressure. Once the solution has been pumped in, turn
the pressure regulator valve fully clockwise to close it off and retain the solution inside the membrane
tubes. Make sure to blow out the product water lines - take care to make sure there is no fresh water
inside the product flow meter tube. Open, drain, and clean the pre-filter housings.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in winterizing...brrrrr

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Miles <milesbid@...> wrote:

Ryan,

 

I have a small hand pump.  I connect the plastic tube to the flow meter and pump it full of pink stuff, and continue pumping until I think the surrounding tubes are full.  I also use this on the hot water pipes. 

 

Miles

 

s/y Ladybug,  sm216  200 miles off Bermuda heading south.


 

Ryan,

As I said, it was from someone else and I have zero experience winterizing...as I tell everyone, I am allergic to cold.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Miles,

Where/how do you connect your hand pump to the flow meter and other tubes?

Bill,
I appreciate the additional instructions, but as with so many winterization instructions for this unit, they mainly talk about the seawater side.  The fresh water side seems to be almost an afterthought -- "take care ... there is no fresh water inside".  I don't know how to put that into practice.

We're expecting the first freeze of the year this Friday night, and our boat is already on the hard.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA


On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:08 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Recently a trusted owner wrote the following:
Winterizing: Recommend using -50F degrees non-toxic water system antifreeze. (2 gallons for a D160)
With the pressure regulator fully counter-clockwise, pump this into the inlet of the high-pressure pump
and through the membrane tubes under minimum pressure. Once the solution has been pumped in, turn
the pressure regulator valve fully clockwise to close it off and retain the solution inside the membrane
tubes. Make sure to blow out the product water lines - take care to make sure there is no fresh water
inside the product flow meter tube. Open, drain, and clean the pre-filter housings.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in winterizing...brrrrr

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Miles <milesbid@...> wrote:

Ryan,

 

I have a small hand pump.  I connect the plastic tube to the flow meter and pump it full of pink stuff, and continue pumping until I think the surrounding tubes are full.  I also use this on the hot water pipes. 

 

Miles

 

s/y Ladybug,  sm216  200 miles off Bermuda heading south.