Worldwide insurance

Bob Grey

Hi Guys, covid is over, borders are opening, so I start my circumnavigation of the globe this Sunday from Melbourne, my current Australian insurer won’t entertain more than 200 miles from Australian waters (Club Marine) so who do we Amelians recommend? 

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Dean Gillies

Edited

Bob,
You might want to try Topsail Insurance. Stella is Australian registered and we found Charlotte Fenn from Topsail to be very helpful for insurance coverage in Europe.

Sydney
43 Baroona Road, Northbridge. NSW 2063

Phone:             02 9188 7828

Email:               charlotte@...

Cheers
--
Dean Gillies
SV Stella *****,  Amel 54-154

PS: Pantaneius also offered coverage for Australian Registered vessels, but their pricing and restrictions were less attractive for us. Maybe they are better for world-wide coverage options.

David Vogel

Hi Bob,

We're Australian registered, which limits our access to offshore insurers, unfortunately.

Short answer: We use Pantaenius Australia.

Best,

David
SM$396, Perigee
Still deep into the 5yr refit
Whangarei, NZ

+++
Long answer: we use Panto-AUS, as this is who we started out with and, with the note of no claims to date - touch wood, we've been generally happy with them.

That is, apart from a late notice on the last renewal, of the requirement for an out-of-water survey. When advised that this was not practicable (having just departed from where we could have hauled out) they were flexible to accommodate a re-issue of the policy, with the caveat that in the interim any loss, or consequential loss, that would (?could?) have resulted as a consequence of a fault that would have been identified in the survey, would not been covered. Yes, this presents a hole in policy cover as big as a fleet of AMELs but, as the saying increasingly goes, 'it is what it is'.

However, offset against this, is that our main foreseen insurable risks are actually lightning or weather-related damage, or total constructive loss due to acts of God, such as collision, hitting an uncharted obstruction (container, bommie, reef, atoll), of any other "stuff happens" thing. Basically, because we do everything reasonably practicable to ensure that we will never need to make a case about maintenance practices, or aspects of seaworthiness, we were reasonably comfortable that we would not be in a position of needing to make a claim as a consequence for something that any survey might pick up. That said, we welcome having a surveyor on-board, to pick his (or her) brains about what they see, and who to go to get stuff fixed. An example here was a suggestion that, when the front and side Perspex windscreens are next due for replacement, a suggestion to consider 8mm toughened glass - longer life, roughly equivalent cost, and stronger.

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Grey via groups.io" <renaissanceiii@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Friday, 6 May 2022 at 11:57 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Worldwide insurance

Hi Guys, covid is over, borders are opening, so I start my circumnavigation of the globe this Sunday from Melbourne, my current Australian insurer won’t entertain more than 200 miles from Australian waters (Club Marine) so who do we Amelians recommend? 

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Ken Uber

I have cover with Pantaenius Australia Pty Ltd. · 33/6 Jubilee Av. · Warriewood · NSW 2102. Which is currently limited to south of lat 26 deg, and when questioned about further they said just let us know and we’ll amend accordingly.

Regards

Ken Uber

SY Eleuthera SM #007

Williamstown Australia

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Grey via groups.io
Sent: Friday, 6 May 2022 9:58 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Bob

Nice to see you guys headed off, all the very best with it. We would do it again in a heartbeat if we could!

As David mentions, your insurance options are now somewhat limited by the Flag of your yacht, your route, citizenship, and where you have residence.

In our case, we purchased the boat in the Canary Islands and kept Island Pearl II UK flagged.

We chose Pantanius in the UK and remained with them for the first Atlantic and Pacific crossings back to Australia, and then for 7 years of local sailing. They were excellent. 

When it came time to circumnavigate we moved to Velos Global Yacht (UK) since Pantanius brought in quite a few new limitations in 2016/7, especially in relation to solo sailing coverage, cruising zones in the north Indian Ocean at that time, and also zero coverage for Pirate attacks at all. Velos was far better and allowed me quite extensive solo sailing allowances at the time after negotiation, however, we had no claims to test their policy, but unfortunately, when we reached Madagascar their renewal quote arrived and was almost precisely double the policy cost!!  This forced us to madly shop around and also was a contributory factor for us deciding to sail around the Cape of Good Hope well ahead of the safe season in order to start a new policy in the Atlantic Ocean, plus get a full Caribbean season in too. 

In Capetown, it was between TopSail and YYachts and we were very fortunate to get Y Yacht coverage due to our UK address back then. This covered us across the South Atlantic, around the Caribbean, through Panama, and home. They were exceptional, with a great team who were easy to communicate with as we changed cruising zones, required Panama crossing coverage last minute, and crossed the Pacific all the way home. 

Two other points to note: 
1) For Personal Accident etc insurance we used a Top Sail policy all the way around the world. This was not cheap but excellent and was also accepted for Chagos entry (along with DAN insurance). I had reason to claim on this policy after ending up in a hospital in The Maldives for 3 weeks after replacing a bow thruster underwater in what we later discovered was extremely dirty stagnant industrial and sewer water.
2) We intended to go through the Red Sea but absolutely no insurer would insure us, or any of the others at the time for this ... hopefully that has since changed with the pirate risk now no longer as risky? 

Best of luck with it, you are in for a real treat!

Colin
ex SM2K Island Pearl II
Brisbane

On Sat, May 7, 2022 at 6:49 AM Ken Uber <kenneth.uber@...> wrote:

I have cover with Pantaenius Australia Pty Ltd. · 33/6 Jubilee Av. · Warriewood · NSW 2102. Which is currently limited to south of lat 26 deg, and when questioned about further they said just let us know and we’ll amend accordingly.

Regards

Ken Uber

SY Eleuthera SM #007

Williamstown Australia

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Grey via groups.io
Sent: Friday, 6 May 2022 9:58 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Trevor Lusty

Hi Bob,
           Best wishes and fair winds for your circumnavigation. Topsail will entertain global proposals. Keep in mind that whoever you go with, the laws and courts  and language of the country where the policy is written is where you have to deal with in the event of a contested claim.

Regards,

Trevor Lusty
Ireland

Mark Erdos

Hi Bob,

I would suggest you review the policy Global Yacht Cover offered by TopSail (UK and Aus) and The Marine Shop (NZ). It is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE,Germany who has an A+ rating with AMBest.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

On 5/6/2022 1:57 AM, Bob Grey via groups.io wrote:

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Bob Grey

Thanks all for you input, I have a few leads now to follow up. I’ll let you know how I go. I will probably leave Australian waters in September from TI, so I have some time to put insurance in place. I passed through the Rip 6 am this morning to a glorious sunny and calm Bass Strait, first stop King Island to add a few Crayfish to the larder.

Bob Grey 
Renaissance III
A55 #25