Worldwide insurance

Bob Grey

Hi Guys, covid is over, borders are opening, so I start my circumnavigation of the globe this Sunday from Melbourne, my current Australian insurer won’t entertain more than 200 miles from Australian waters (Club Marine) so who do we Amelians recommend?

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Dean Gillies

Edited

Bob,
You might want to try Topsail Insurance. Stella is Australian registered and we found Charlotte Fenn from Topsail to be very helpful for insurance coverage in Europe.

Sydney
43 Baroona Road, Northbridge. NSW 2063

Phone:             02 9188 7828

Email:               charlotte@...

Website:           www.topsailinsurance.com.au

Cheers
--
Dean Gillies
SV Stella *****,  Amel 54-154

PS: Pantaneius also offered coverage for Australian Registered vessels, but their pricing and restrictions were less attractive for us. Maybe they are better for world-wide coverage options.

David Vogel

Hi Bob,

We're Australian registered, which limits our access to offshore insurers, unfortunately.

Short answer: We use Pantaenius Australia.

Best,

David
SM$396, Perigee
Still deep into the 5yr refit
Whangarei, NZ

+++
Long answer: we use Panto-AUS, as this is who we started out with and, with the note of no claims to date - touch wood, we've been generally happy with them.

That is, apart from a late notice on the last renewal, of the requirement for an out-of-water survey. When advised that this was not practicable (having just departed from where we could have hauled out) they were flexible to accommodate a re-issue of the policy, with the caveat that in the interim any loss, or consequential loss, that would (?could?) have resulted as a consequence of a fault that would have been identified in the survey, would not been covered. Yes, this presents a hole in policy cover as big as a fleet of AMELs but, as the saying increasingly goes, 'it is what it is'.

However, offset against this, is that our main foreseen insurable risks are actually lightning or weather-related damage, or total constructive loss due to acts of God, such as collision, hitting an uncharted obstruction (container, bommie, reef, atoll), of any other "stuff happens" thing. Basically, because we do everything reasonably practicable to ensure that we will never need to make a case about maintenance practices, or aspects of seaworthiness, we were reasonably comfortable that we would not be in a position of needing to make a claim as a consequence for something that any survey might pick up. That said, we welcome having a surveyor on-board, to pick his (or her) brains about what they see, and who to go to get stuff fixed. An example here was a suggestion that, when the front and side Perspex windscreens are next due for replacement, a suggestion to consider 8mm toughened glass - longer life, roughly equivalent cost, and stronger.

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Grey via groups.io" <renaissanceiii@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Friday, 6 May 2022 at 11:57 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Worldwide insurance

Hi Guys, covid is over, borders are opening, so I start my circumnavigation of the globe this Sunday from Melbourne, my current Australian insurer won’t entertain more than 200 miles from Australian waters (Club Marine) so who do we Amelians recommend?

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Ken Uber

I have cover with Pantaenius Australia Pty Ltd. · 33/6 Jubilee Av. · Warriewood · NSW 2102. Which is currently limited to south of lat 26 deg, and when questioned about further they said just let us know and we’ll amend accordingly.

Regards

Ken Uber

SY Eleuthera SM #007

Williamstown Australia