Yanmar 100 HP (4JH3-HTE) Exhaust Hose Replacement

Paul Stascavage

Good day all,

I have searched the forum but have not found what I am looking for.

I want to replace the Yanmar exhaust hose but there are so many options with regard to manufacturers and materials that I find it difficult for me to select an appropriate replacement product.

I was hoping that those who have done this before or have the knowledge I don’t posses could make some recommendations regarding a suitable replacement.

The large section of hose is labeled “Thor Special Echappement Exhaust Hose” and is solid black.  This hose is installed from the exit side of the Vetus Waterlock (muffler) to the exhaust port on the hull.  The small section of hose from the exhaust elbow to the intake side of the Muffler is labeled “www.ivgspa.it ETNA Marine Gas Hose Lloyds No 99/00169 (E2).

I am not sure why the two section are different or if they are both original.  I believe the Thor is original as the Onan Exhaust Hose is the same.  The smaller section of hose does need to make a sharp bend which could explain why it is different or it may be subjected to higher heat as it is closer to the engine in the stream, or it could have been replaced by the PO. Either way, the smaller section has not held up as well.

I would like to do this job with both the most suitable and the highest quality product available to me.  I’d rather spend a few extra dollars now and get the longest life out of the project.

I am writing to Thor to see if they can identify the existing product.  The smaller section of hose looks to be available from IVG but I am not sure I want to use that one again based on it’s current condition.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring City Island, NY

www.RitaKathryn.com

My opinion:
The engine exhaust hose should be Shieldsflex II 3” wet exhaust hose. http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hose/engine-hose/series250/
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:14 PM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Good day Bill and thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, as this product is manufactured in Turkey, none of the US suppliers I have contacted have any stock or know when it will become available.

What would be your second choice? The chandlers in the US seem to normally stock Shield, Trident, MPI and Vettus.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring City Island, NY

www.RitaKathryn.com

Bill Kinney

Paul,

I have not seen any large difference in quality between the major hose manufacturers. Shields, Trident, and Vetus all make excellent hose.  The primary difference in hose (other than size, of course!) is the choice of with wire re-enforcement or without.  The wire wrapped hoses can make significantly tighter bends without collapsing, but are otherwise similar in specifications and expected lifespan.

A possible advantage of Vetus hose is that it is made specifically to metric sizes, but in these sizes things match very closely either way.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Great Giana Cay, Exumas, The Bahamas

Paul,

INTERNAL DIAMETER (INCHES) 3
EXTERNAL DIAMETER (INCHES) 3 5/16
WEIGHT (LBS) 3,1
MAX. PRESSURE (PSI) 47,86
BENDING RADIUS (INCHES) 4 1/2

About $20 - $25/ foot

Bill

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 5:41 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Paul,

I have not seen any large difference in quality between the major hose manufacturers. Shields, Trident, and Vetus all make excellent hose.  The primary difference in hose (other than size, of course!) is the choice of with wire re-enforcement or without.  The wire wrapped hoses can make significantly tighter bends without collapsing, but are otherwise similar in specifications and expected lifespan.

A possible advantage of Vetus hose is that it is made specifically to metric sizes, but in these sizes things match very closely either way.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Great Giana Cay, Exumas, The Bahamas

Paul Stascavage

Thank you Bill R. and Bill K.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum saves me so much time.

I truly appreciate you both taking the time to share.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring City Island, NY

www.RitaKathryn.com

eric freedman

HI,

We just installed a new 4jh4hte. It is the same as your engine. It uses a stock Vetus hose.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376