Yanmar 100 hp starter relay

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

 What is the part number for the starter relay on the 100 hp Yanmar? I am having a hard time starting my engine when it is hot and the mechanic suspects this relay is problematic and I am looking to replace it

Derick Gates
SM2K #400
currently in Bar, Montenegro

Derick,

What are the symptoms? If you are experiencing NO CRANK, it can be something the mechanic will not be familiar with. Included in the troubleshooting should be the Valeo Negative Solenoid, the Starter Relay, the 2 diodes that go to the positive lug on the Valeo Solenoid, the Solenoid on top of the Starter Motor, and the Starter Motor.

Generally, the start cycle works like this:
When you turn on the key the warning lights turn ON and the buzzer sounds.
When you turn the switch to start, the Starter Relay energizes the Valeo Negative Solenoid connecting the battery negative to the block and it energizes the Yanmar starter motor solenoid, extending the gear and turning the starter motor.  I suggest cleaning every connection and brushing on CorrosionX.

The parts involved in this are:
Yanmar key switch 127412-91250
Starter Relay I believe is part number 119575-77510
Valeo Solenoid is part number Valeo part number VA053457
Yanmar Starter Magnetic Starter Switch (Solenoid) 124298-77020
Yanmar Starter 129698-77010
Two diodes unknown (someone will know, please help here)

More detail here: 2 pages from my Amel Book:

I hope that this helps...I think that there is better than a 50% chance it is a loose and/or dirty connection that needs cleaning and CorrosionX.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:05 PM Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava <derickgates@...> wrote:

 What is the part number for the starter relay on the 100 hp Yanmar? I am having a hard time starting my engine when it is hot and the mechanic suspects this relay is problematic and I am looking to replace it

Derick Gates
SM2K #400
currently in Bar, Montenegro

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Bill, thanks for the quick response. If the key is turned, the appropriate red lights go on in the paMel , but when the key is further turned to the start position, the negative solenoid does engage, but there is no cranking of the engine. If the mechanic shorts out the two posts on the starter relay while the key is in the start position, the engine does crank and immediately runs. So we suspect the starter relay has failed, or fails at high temperatures (after running the engine for some time). I will see if I can source it here in Montenegro.

Derick
SM2K #400 Brava

Alan Leslie

Hi Derick