Topics

Yanmar 4JH3-HTE Fresh Water Pump Replacement

Dan Carlson

Good morning all, it is time for me to replace the fresh water pump on the YANMAR 4JH3-HTE (100hp Turbo) diesel.   The original plan was to have it done in Martinique, but it has started to leak from the shaft seal at the front of the engine.  I am currently at Les Saintes and with the Covid 19 situation it seems prudent to stay here for a bit.  I already have the replacement pump. But I have a few questions:
1) I'm not sure that I have the right gasket to go between the water pump and the engine, but I have lots of Permatex #2 and 26B Gasket maker, will one of those be ok? There is at least one other gasket for the thermostat and an O-ring that I also may be missing.
2) Coolant there is not much choice for coolants here but the manual indicated you can run on clean fresh water. I've only heard of people using coolant, but open to other perspectives ( I do know it is important not to mix different coolants)
3) any other tricks , traps or learnings from others who have done the job would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

eric freedman

If you do not have the gasket you can go to an auto supply and get gasket material. It comes in sceehs and with a razor knife and scissors you can make a gasket. An o ring should not be difficult to find.

The purpose  of the coolant is to keep the inside of the block from rusting in addition to other things.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Dan,

Where did you get the pump from? There are sheets of gasket material and a O Ring making kit at the same source as the pump. 🙄

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020, 12:55 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies Eric and Bill.

I was able to find some coolant in a hardware store just an hour before the closed the stores in Les Saintes and notified all of the boats on the moorings that they were not allowed to go to shore until further notice.

And thanks for the tips on locating some existing gasket material on BeBe. I tell my wife that I can't move the stores of boat parts around BeBe because then Bill's can  continue to remind me where to find things.

I'll let you know how it goes.

This is a great group.

Regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

Edited

Hi Dan,
Others have commented that you should be fine with what you've got plus, perhaps, some sheet gasket material. Under your #3 though - tricks, traps or learnings - I'd add to be sure to replace your antifreeze (coolant) with one specifically rated for diesel engines, not the much more commonly available products sold for car (gasoline/petrol) engines. That's a tip I picked up from a fantastically knowledgeable diesel mechanic (engineer for the Brits) in Annapolis who gave a super presentation at the SSCA Annapolis Gam a couple of years ago. It was new knowledge to me at the time as I didn't know there was a difference - there is.
Cheers, Craig
PS. You mention the leak is the shaft seal and you're replacing the whole pump. Next step I'd suggest is to rebuild the old pump with an inexpensive shaft seal so you'll have a fresh pump good to go when your new pump starts leaking in the future. An easy DIY job.

Dan Carlson

Hi Craig,. Thanks for the recco on the fluid.  Yes, unfortunately coolant is another of those mystery fluids where you are either in a well stocked parts store and faced with a myriad of mind boggling choices, or you are in a remote location with the choice of one mystery fluids written in another language.

I've always gone for fluid that is good for diesel engines and compatible with aluminum.

I will change out the fluid again as soon as I can.

And, yes I will also try to rebuild the pump to have a spare. I'm sure that it is both the seal as well as the bearing.

Thanks again for the response with the helpful information and suggestions.

Regards Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387.

[Edited Message Follows]