Topics

ZF Hurth Transmission

Arthur Sundqvist

There is some red ATF oil drops  coming from the transmission box.
A small leak. What can this be?
SM435. Vista
Fair winds to all
Kindest regards
arthur

It is a leak from the reversing transmission. Check the cap for the filter and the high pressure line to the shaft brake.

If the above doesn't reveal the leak, place white paper towels so that you can narrow it down to a specific location. You will probably need to clean everything and tape paper towels in place. Hopefully it is not a transmission shaft seal.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019, 5:35 AM Arthur Sundqvist <arthur@...> wrote:
There is some red ATF oil drops  coming from the transmission box.
A small leak. What can this be?
SM435. Vista
Fair winds to all
Kindest regards
arthur

Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris

Hi Arhur,
Hopefully it's from the drain plug on the underside that has a sealing washer you can easily replace.
Craig

Arthur Sundqvist

Thanks. I Will check...
What is Transmission Shaft seal.

Skickat från min iPhone

4 nov. 2019 kl. 14:11 skrev CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:

It is a leak from the reversing transmission. Check the cap for the filter and the high pressure line to the shaft brake.

If the above doesn't reveal the leak, place white paper towels so that you can narrow it down to a specific location. You will probably need to clean everything and tape paper towels in place. Hopefully it is not a transmission shaft seal.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019, 5:35 AM Arthur Sundqvist <arthur@...> wrote:
There is some red ATF oil drops  coming from the transmission box.
A small leak. What can this be?
SM435. Vista
Fair winds to all
Kindest regards
arthur

Arthur Sundqvist

Thank you. I Will check

Skickat från min iPhone

4 nov. 2019 kl. 14:14 skrev Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris@...>:

Hi Arhur,
Hopefully it's from the drain plug on the underside that has a sealing washer you can easily replace.
Craig

Gary Wells

Arthur, I had the same leak and if it is coming from where there shifter shaft enters the transmission it is an easy fix as well.

I drained the fluid from the bottom drain plug then undid the one bolt that holds the shift lever in place.
It comes off easily and there is absmall lip seal that can be popped out.
The measurement are on the seal and I ordered a couple of replacement items from a Honda motorcycle shop :)

That replacement stopped the leak and has held for four years now.

The info I have is that the seal is 20mm ID, 26mm OD by 4mm thickness. The Honda part number is 91262-GBF-831

I keep those white oul-absorbent cloth "diapers" spread out under the engine and transmission (and in the genset pan) so I can quickly see if any oil is getting loose.

Best of.luck!!

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Cape Lookout

Bernd Spanner

Edited

I had the same issue. It was exactly as Bill described. Was an easy fix for the pros.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Gary,

 Thanks for tip. I might carry one as a spare.
 You guys are so lucky in the States--a mere $5 ( for a product that costs a few cents ).  Amazon in the UK want £36.58 ( oh, plus postage, of course ). How do they stay in business ?
 I will hunt around.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Still in the EU ( but watch this space... )