Topics

Zink Anode for SPURS Line Cutter

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Dear Amelias

When I acquired WASABI there was no Zink on the SPURS robe cutter. But I found in the spare box from former owner replacement anodes. The AutoProp does have the Plastic Cap and I trust the Bonding to protect the Propeller.
On my former Boat I had the same line cutter and I had to replace the Zink regularly.

I suppose that the AMEL-Bonding will protect Line cutter without Zink-Anodes as well as the prop, and I don’t need to install. What is the Forums experience and opinion about my question? I am correct?

Best regards
Ruedi Waldispuehl
WASABI A54#55
Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Scott SV Tengah

Our rudder zincs wear as they should and the spurs zinc wears also.

Given the cost of that Spurs and the minimal cost to buy the additional zinc, I opt to be conservative on this one and keep the line cutter zinc'd.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Beaute Olivier

Hello Rudi and Scott,

the reason for the zinc on the SPURS rope-cutter is that it is attached to the fixed blade which is in fact isolated from the prop shaft by a plastic U-shaped part (you will have a close look next time)  Therefore, this fixed blade is not correctly bonded to the rudder zincs, and it is important to keep its zinc in good condition.
The purpose of the plastic part is to reduce friction betwen the shaft and the fixed blade.

Have a nice day.

Olivier.

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Olivier
Thank you. Yes you are completely right. I forgot that U-shaped plastic part which isolate the SPURS from the bonded shaft.
Have a nice day
Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Beaute Olivier via groups.io" <atlanticyachtsurvey@...>
Datum: Sonntag, 17. Mai 2020 um 11:31
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Zink Anode for SPURS Line Cutter

Hello Rudi and Scott,

the reason for the zinc on the SPURS rope-cutter is that it is attached to the fixed blade which is in fact isolated from the prop shaft by a plastic U-shaped part (you will have a close look next time)  Therefore, this fixed blade is not correctly bonded to the rudder zincs, and it is important to keep its zinc in good condition.
The purpose of the plastic part is to reduce friction betwen the shaft and the fixed blade.

Have a nice day.

Olivier.

Alexander Hofmann

Bonjour Olivier, hello Rudi and Scott,

I want to add my observations of some years: The zinc anode of the Spurs line cutter is completely away after a year, if you do not have the zinc anode on the nose of (in my case folding) propeller. This means, the protection of the big 2 anodes on the rudder blade is most seemingly not enough to protect the line cutter (and the propeller I believe) from corrosion.
After installing the zinc anode on the propeller (instead of the 'red nose plastic' - as Olivier says), which by the way is quite easy also in diving, I detect no corrosion anymore at the zinc anode of the Spurs line cutter.
I am happy now with a full set of zinc anodes from bow to aft, on (1) the bow thruster, (2) the Onan Generator, (3) the spurs line cutter, (4) the nose of the Propeller and (5) the 2 big ones at the rudder blade.

This should last and avoid any corrosion easily a year!

Best regards
Alexander Hofmann, SY Oceanica I, Amel 54#156

Teun BAAS

Hi Alexander,

I am aware of all the anodes you mention but, maybe a dumb question, where is the anode on the ONAN Generator?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 18, 2020 09:18:17

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

[...]

Hi Teun
The Onan Zink Anode is placed in the Heat Exchanger and need to be checked and replaced regularly after its is used/eaten up. I attached 2 photos for you where you can see the location of the Anode on the left side and how it looks like. Cheers and happy Sailing
Ruedi Waldispuehl
WASABI A54#55
Currently in Sicily

Teun BAAS

Morning Ruedi,

Thanks for reminding me. Yup – agree.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 18, 2020 10:50:47

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

The Onan Zink Anode is placed in the Heat Exchanger and need to be checked and replaced regularly after its is used/eaten up. I attached 2 photos for you where you can see the location of the Anode on the left side and how it looks like. Cheers and happy Sailing
Ruedi Waldispuehl
WASABI A54#55
Currently in Sicily

Teun,

To the back of the Onan heat exchanger
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Teun,

You can buy a regular pencil zinc and shorten it . It is much cheaper than the Onan factory zinc.

Save the brass cap fitting that the zinc fits into . You can then reuse the cap and buy zincs without the brass cap.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376