From: yachtforsale@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:yachtforsale@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Lee
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:58 PM
To: yachtforsale@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [yachtforsale] Mix of boats

I find it interesting that there are way more listings for 54’s than 53’s, despite 53’s being both older and, I assume, much more plentiful..I am guessing that this is an attribute of the boat show hot potato primary market as opposed to the more stable secondary market. But that’s just a guess.

Robert Lee

Thank you. That’s a lot of miles. Do you live aboard?  Can you tell me more about it and you?  I am thinking about looking for one. Probably in the fall. Have been in touch with both Joel Potter and Bill Rouse. Inonky ever sailed on one from Tortolla to St Martin in the Caribbean. I was bowled over. It wasn’t lithe and responsive like my Beneteau 462.  It was an impregnable tank and I fell in love with the cockpit and the interior. I thought it was brilliant. And below it was dark, and cozy and chocked full of storage and so well designed it felt like an apartment. It had differentiated spaces. You had a sense of “being in the kitchen” when you were in the galley, while on my boat Was open and not “carved out” and there was no sense of moving to “rooms”, and that was terribly satisfying. Also the owner showed me the systems. And the boat was designed for them. There was a place for them. They were not put under beds.  The water dipstick blew me away. The bulkhead helm. The duel motors on the mainsail and headsail. The mizzen being manual (sensible). The ability to dial in a neutral wheel so you were not subjecting your arm and the rudder to large weather helm. I realized with solar cells you could live aboard for the rest of your life and with a diesel heater sail and live at any latitude.

You can tell I am smitten!

Bob Lee.

(610) 724-1288

On Jan 14, 2021, at 12:38 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

The 53 was developed over 17 years .I believe it is the best Amel ever built. It is also the last Amel supervised by Captain Amel’s crew. Having sailed kimberlite over 75,000 miles ,there is no other boat I would trade it for.

We have been through a lot of very extreme weather and we have never broken anything. However one time a HUGE wave took the radar antenna off of the mizzen mast.

Fair Winds

Eric

I find it interesting that there are way more listings for 54’s than 53’s, despite 53’s being both older and, I assume, much more plentiful..I am guessing that this is an attribute of the boat show hot potato primary market as opposed to the more stable secondary market. But that’s just a guess.

Robert Lee

I cannot afford a 54!

(610) 724-1288

On Jan 14, 2021, at 12:30 AM, Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> wrote:

That would be unusual.  I've been tracking them for quite a few years now and it is usually far more weighted towards  SM's but I notice there also seems to be an unusual amount of Mango's, Meltems, Maramu's and Santorin's on the market in comparison now too (although the total number of Amel boats for sale right now seems to be down quite a bit from previous years at this time).  There were something like 479 Super Maramu's made from 1989 to 2005 and I'm aware of 4 that were lost for one reason or another.  There were only 165 Amel 54's made (not aware of any lost) from 2005 to 2011 so there are almost 3 times more Super Maramu's than Amel 54's.  I had a quick look at yacht world and excluding the double counts (expensive boats often have multiple brokerages listing the same boat), I counted eleven Amel 54's and twenty one SM's so a bit more Amel 54's proportionally but not completely out of whack with what you'd expect (2.8:1 vs 2:1).   It's probably just a matter of timing for the owners and boat location.    Anyway, they are both great boats so you can't go wrong either way.