SM2K #243 KRISTY for sale #Amel_For_Sale

karkauai

Edited

Hi hopeful Amelians, Happy New Year.
Kent Robertson here, with Kristy (SM243). She is one of the first SM 2Ks.

I am 74 now and am finding it harder and harder to work on the inevitable things that break down. Now with the uncertainty of Covid regulations, I feel it is time to pass the helm on to someone else.

We are in the Bahamas/?Caribbean this Winter, and will be back to St Michaels MD in the Spring.  If she doesn't sell right away, I'll probably take her up to Maine this Summer.  If you would like to join us to get some feel for her sailing and living characteristics, we can probably make that happen any time this winter or spring.  Even an offshore passage depending on where we end up when it's time to go back N.  Are you seasoned sailors?  Do you have offshore experience?

I have just made the decision to sell, I will post a more formal list of her equipment and amenities as time and internet access permit.
I can send a copy of the Insurance survey that was done last Spring.

I am the 2nd owner, and purchased her 12 years ago.  Her sails are 12 years old, but still perform well, a little bagginess showing in the main, but still furls well. The primary Genoa is a 135%, and there is also a 110% Yankee cut genoa for winds averaging over 15-20 kts. There is a mizzen ballooner that has been rarely used, and a second headsail for downwind double headsail rig.

I repowered with a Yanmar 4JH4HTE 110HP in 2006. I had to replace the instrument panel a few years ago, and lost the original hour meter, but all told, the new engine has ~2500 hours.

The generator is a 6.5 KW Onan, original.

She has a 105A Magnum charger/Inverter and a 60 A Victron Skylla-i charger, a 75 A 24v alternator with external smart regulator, and 850W of solar in 3 pairs with three Victron solar charge controllers.  I just replaced the batteries with 440 AHr Rolls deep cycle AGMs.  She is also equipped with a 110-220 AC inverter for using US 110 shore power.

She has a galley fridge and two under seat fridge/freezer units that were replaced within the last few years.  All three Climma AC/heater units are original and working.  There is also an Espar diesel heater that works great in cold weather.

The Force 10 3-burner stove/oven is original.  It shows its 22 year age, but still works great.

The chipping original Amel decks were covered with PVC decking material last Spring. Pricey but looks great, cooler on the feet, and great non-skid.

All interior upholstery was redone 2 years ago.

The dinghy is an aluminum 9.5 AB RIB, about 4 years old, with a 15HP Yamaha 2-stroke about 8 years old.

I have many spares, most of the Amel-specific tools, and will leave a lot of my other tools aboard.

Let me know if you're interested.
Text or email best while we are out of the US, I can Skype call when we have a good enough signal.

Best of luck in your search.  What ever Amel you buy, you won't be disappointed.

Kent
karkauai@...
828-234-6819

Brent Cameron

I’ve sailed with Kent on Kristy on several long offshore passages up and down the eastern seaboard of the US and can confirm that Kristy is a beautiful example of the Super Maramu 2000 type and Kent has made some very great additions (only after a lot of thought and all of them in my humble opinion make the boat better than original and none take away from the original Henry Amel design… just updating it as things progress over the years since she was built. As an example she has all new B&G Zeus instruments and radar/AIS that Kent hasn’t mentioned including two large chart plotters, one at the helm and the other at the nav station - all well tied into and integrated with the redundant Ray Marine autopilots.  She’ got a new big Rocna anchor and new chain. She’s very well fitted out, well maintained and well sailed by a prudent and talented skipper and his admiral who take excellent care of the boat and her crew at all times. If you are after a Super Maramu 2000, definitely look at her. If I wasn’t looking for an Amel 54, she’d already be mine. She’s a keeper.

On Jan 17, 2022, at 11:34 AM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

I repowered with a Yanmar 4HH4HTE 110HP in 2006. I had to replace the instrument panel a few years ago, and lost the original hour meter, but all told, the new engine has ~2500 hours.

The generator is a 6.5 KW Onan, original.

She has a 105A Magnum charger/Inverter and a 60 A Victron Skylla-i charger, a 75 A 24v alternator with external smart regulator, and 850W of solar in 3 pairs with three Victron solar charge controllers.  I just replaced the batteries with 440 AHr Rolls deep cycle AGMs.  She is also equipped with a 110-220 AC inverter for using US 110 shore power.

She has a galley fridge and two under seat fridge/freezer units that were replaced within the last few years.  All three Climate AC/heater units are original and working.  There is also an Espar diesel heater that works great in cold weather.

The Force 10 3-burner stove/oven is original.  It shows its 22 year age, but still works great.

The chipping original Amel decks were covered with PVC decking material last Spring. Cooler on the feet, and great non-skid.

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

karkauai

Thank you, Brent. That is very nice of you to say.  I wish she was a fit for you, my friend, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have take her helm
Kent

On Monday, January 17, 2022, 04:47:14 PM EST, Brent Cameron via groups.io <brentcameron61@...> wrote:

[...]

I have put together quite a few photos and a list of equipment that I will send to you if you are interested.

Please contact me at
karkauai "at" yahoo "dot" com
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

karkauai

Hi prospective Amel owners,

This is an update on Kristy's for sale status.

I have been working on my to do list since arriving back in St Michaels in April.  Its been slow-going because of rain and a bout of Covid, but should have the small projects all done in another week or two.  She was scheduled to be hauled out at Oxford Boatyard next week for some bigger projects (replacing input and outflow pipes on both black water holding tanks, new Onan exhaust manifold, repair of welds on main boom and mizzen mast with repainting) but the yard just said they won't be ready for her until mid-June.

We had planned to take her up to Maine this Summer if she doesn't sell, but with this delay I'm not sure that will happen.  The uncertainty hasn't been good for my psyche, so I've decided to sweeten the pot.

With all major and minor repairs and maintenance up to date and paid for, I am dropping the asking price to $325,000.

Please contact us if you are still interested and/or have any questions.

Kent & Iris Robertson
SV Kristy
1999 SuperMaramu 2000 #243
currently St Michaels, MD USA

karkauai at yahoo dot com

hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...>

Hello Kent
I‘m looking for a friend of me for a good maintained SM.
I‘m the owner of Tamango 2
SM16
Can you indicate me your price idea?
My email: Hanspeter.baettig@...
Best regards
Hanspeter

karkauai

Update on sale of Kristy SM#243

Despite all of Kristy's upgrades, including repower 2016 with 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE now ~2900hrs, raised cockpit enclosure 2019, new upholstery 2018, PVC decking 2021, $50K of B&G navigation, autopilot, integrated radar and AIS 2018, repainted masts & booms 2020, it appears that I priced Kristy out of the market.

Sooo, after a great summer up in Maine, I'm lowering the price to $285K.

She will be hauled out in Oxford, MD in a few weeks and winterized unless someone wants to sail her away in the next month.

david bruce

Hi Kent,  Sorry, I labelled Zia 243, she is 423, didn’t think i had dyslexia but now am wondering!
Kristy sounds like a great boat.
Best, Dave

On Nov 16, 2022, at 8:23 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Update on sale of Kristy SM#243

Despite all of Kristy's upgrades, including repower 2016 with 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE now ~2900hrs, raised cockpit enclosure 2019, new upholstery 2018, PVC decking 2021, $50K of B&G navigation, autopilot, integrated radar and AIS 2018, repainted masts & booms 2020, it appears that I priced Kristy out of the market.

Sooo, after a great summer up in Maine, I'm lowering the price to $285K.

She will be hauled out in Oxford, MD in a few weeks and winterized unless someone wants to sail her away in the next month.

karkauai

No problem Dave.  Happy Holidays!

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 01:41:02 PM EST, david bruce <davidcbruce57@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,  Sorry, I labelled Zia 243, she is 423, didn’t think i had dyslexia but now am wondering!
Kristy sounds like a great boat.
Best, Dave

On Nov 16, 2022, at 8:23 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Update on sale of Kristy SM#243

Despite all of Kristy's upgrades, including repower 2016 with 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE now ~2900hrs, raised cockpit enclosure 2019, new upholstery 2018, PVC decking 2021, $50K of B&G navigation, autopilot, integrated radar and AIS 2018, repainted masts & booms 2020, it appears that I priced Kristy out of the market.

Sooo, after a great summer up in Maine, I'm lowering the price to $285K.

She will be hauled out in Oxford, MD in a few weeks and winterized unless someone wants to sail her away in the next month.

Patrick McAneny

Kent, Kristy is a great boat well worth much more than you are asking,  especially when compared to the asking prices of other brands of boats ,that are often smaller and of less quality. I have never understood why Amels don't fetch as much as (in my opinion ) less desirable boats. We will suffer through the winter up here as well.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Despite all of Kristy's upgrades, including repower 2016 with 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE now ~2900hrs, raised cockpit enclosure 2019, new upholstery 2018, PVC decking 2021, $50K of B&G navigation, autopilot, integrated radar and AIS 2018, repainted masts & booms 2020, it appears that I priced Kristy out of the market.

Sooo, after a great summer up in Maine, I'm lowering the price to $285K.

She will be hauled out in Oxford, MD in a few weeks and winterized unless someone wants to sail her away in the next month.

karkauai

Thanks, Pat
I just got a text from a couple who looked at her last Spring that want to schedule a survey.  She'll sell, I'm sure.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 04:48:23 PM EST, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Kent,

Great news. Good luck.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 04:48:23 PM EST, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Robert Lee

Hi. Has the boat been surveyed?

+1 (610) 724-1288 USA
WhatsApp using USA #
—————————————

On Nov 16, 2022, at 1:23 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Update on sale of Kristy SM#243

Despite all of Kristy's upgrades, including repower 2016 with 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE now ~2900hrs, raised cockpit enclosure 2019, new upholstery 2018, PVC decking 2021, $50K of B&G navigation, autopilot, integrated radar and AIS 2018, repainted masts & booms 2020, it appears that I priced Kristy out of the market.

Sooo, after a great summer up in Maine, I'm lowering the price to $285K.

She will be hauled out in Oxford, MD in a few weeks and winterized unless someone wants to sail her away in the next month.

karkauai

Hi Robert. she had an insurance survey in 2021. No significant issues. See attached.

Another couple has contacted me to express an interest. They say they are going to schedule a survey in mid December.

I will send you some Dropbox links with pics and info
Happy Holidays!
Kent

On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 09:02:40 AM EST, Robert Lee <rob.s.lee.jr@...> wrote:

Hi. Has the boat been surveyed?

+1 (610) 724-1288 USA
WhatsApp using USA #
—————————————

On Nov 16, 2022, at 1:23 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Update on sale of Kristy SM#243

Despite all of Kristy's upgrades, including repower 2016 with 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE now ~2900hrs, raised cockpit enclosure 2019, new upholstery 2018, PVC decking 2021, $50K of B&G navigation, autopilot, integrated radar and AIS 2018, repainted masts & booms 2020, it appears that I priced Kristy out of the market.

Sooo, after a great summer up in Maine, I'm lowering the price to $285K.

She will be hauled out in Oxford, MD in a few weeks and winterized unless someone wants to sail her away in the next month.

Robert Lee

Thanks. I thought Richard was interested.

+1 (610) 724-1288 USA
WhatsApp using USA #
—————————————

On Nov 17, 2022, at 4:52 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard isn't who is interested.

On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 06:42:13 PM EST, Robert Lee <rob.s.lee.jr@...> wrote:

[...]

Interesting. He’s looking. I wonder why. I know him from 30 years ago.

+1 (610) 724-1288 USA
WhatsApp using USA #

On Nov 17, 2022, at 6:54 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Bill. What do you think about this boat?

+1 (610) 724-1288 USA
WhatsApp using USA #